Sunday, May 10, 2009

AN INTRODUCTION

I guess I should start by introducing myself...

My name is Jessica and I'm a 23 year old photojournalist in a 90's television market. What does that mean in laymans terms? I guess you could say I'm a small fish in a medium sized pond. I'm constantly surrounded by people who have been doing my job longer then me, and like to make sure I'm well aware of it! Not that they are any better at it then I am... but when you are at least five years younger then your youngest co-worker, you tend to get the short end of the stick most of the time.

Let me give you an example. Every Saturday night I'm on-call. So while all my friends are going out to the bars and enjoying some brewskies, I'm sitting at home with the phone next to my ear, anxiously awaiting a call from work. Of course I'm not getting paid for this wasted time, why would I. Not that I'm complaining. I love my job. Really, I do. But sometimes I just want to scream, stomp my foot, and let everyone know that life's not fair!

So what is the purpose of this little blog. Well, in the year and a half that I've been working in news, I've come accross a lot of people who think my job is all glitz and glamour. I must admit, in a snapshot, it can easily appear that way. I'm here to tell the truth about life in news. I'm here to share the ups and downs of being a young, inexperienced, naive female photojournalist. Some of my stories are funny, some are a bit sad. But all of them are real. These are the stories of Southern Colorado, through the eyes of a photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment